Monday, December 9, 2013

Diy dress up present for a girl // vintage princess skirt

Now that all the Christmas markets are over I'm jumping right back into present mode. One thing that I've been meaning to organize for Emma is a dress up box. She's really into dress ups and I've got a few pits and pieces, but it's time to start making some dresses and capes and such.

I know the polyester princess dresses (that will go up in flames near fire) would be an easy way to go, but it's not very me for some reason. I think handmade vintage princess skirt has much more personality in it. So if you want to make your princess their own princess dress out of recycled materials then here's instructions for you. It won't take much time at all, but you will need a sewing machine.


Here's what you'll need:
  • two pieces of material, old sheets work great and cost you nothing, and give that vintage look
  • elastic
And that's it! Of course you need scissors and a sewing machine, but other than that all you need is those two things.

First things first, measure your child's waist and cut that amount of elastic. Then spread your old sheets on the floor and cut out two pieces, one smaller than the other, but same length. I measured 3 times the length of the elastic, but I think double would work probably better. I just wanted the skirt to go all puffy like princess skirts go, so I thought more the material more the puffiness. 


Put the smaller piece of material on top of the larger and cut it in half, you have now two small pieces. Make the bottom middle corners round (see the picture below). Then sew the hemline of the smaller pieces so that the hems are nice and tidy. If you want it to look more professional always iron the edges you're about to sew first. Again the pictures explain better than my words.


Don't think you can't do this if you don't have an overlocker, because you totally can! Just sew a zigzag on the edges, then iron and sew your straight stitch. I'm using an overlocker only because I have one and they are super awesome.

Now the next step is to sew all the pieces together, just one zigzag or with your overlocker if you have one. Make sure the two small pieces overlap a little.

Then sew your back seam together right sides facing each other, so that it starts to look a little like a skirt.


This is what your skirt should look like now. Don't worry about the wrinkles, iron the whole skirt when you're finished. Now it's time to sew the waistband.

First iron the edge of the waist. Use your elastic as a measuring stick again making sure that the edge is ironed a little bit more that the width of the elastic. That way you make sure that the elastic will fit through.


You need to leave an opening on your casing where you can put the elastic through. So make sure you start sewing a bit after your back seam and stop sewing a bit before you reach the back seam.


Then it's just matter of putting your elastic through the waistband casing. Place a safety pin on the end of the elastic, stick it through the casing opening and push the elastic through the casing till it comes out the other end.  Overlap the two ends of the elastic and sew them together. Make sure the elastic is not twisted inside of the casing! (I've done that rookie mistake too many times.)


 Sew the gap closed and finish your skirt's hemline and you're done! So easy! It took me less than an hour to make this and cost me the amount of elastic (which is not a lot).

Yes I know it's not shiny or glittery skirt, but I think my princess will love it still.

How about a felt tiara to fit the skirt? How about if it was reversable and super easy and quick to make? I'll share that tutorial next!


No comments:

Post a Comment